WINNIPEG – A man who barricaded himself inside his Winnipeg home last week died from a single self-inflicted gunshot wound, police say.
Andrew Baryluk died early on the morning of July 31 after a 17-hour standoff with police.
His family says they’ve been left in the dark in the six days since, with no information about how the 52-year-old died. Police said the family was told the cause of death Wednesday afternoon.
Police Chief Devon Clunis said he knows the timeframe might not be suitable for everyone but “we are moving in the right direction.”
Court documents suggest a family dispute over ownership of the home may have sparked the standoff.
Neighbors said Baryluk told them sheriffs would be evicting him from the home on July 30.
Jeanette Latimer, Baryluk’s cousin, lived next door to him. The night before the standoff, Baryluk brought over some of his mother’s possessions —; doilies and vases —; for her to keep, she said.
“I don’t think he planned on leaving,” said Latimer.
Police were called to the Stella Avenue house at 10:45 a.m. on July 30 after receiving reports of an armed man threatening to harm himself.
Police said they spoke to him by telephone but lost contact in the early evening. They attempted to deliver a phone to re-establish communication at 8:20 p.m. and Barlyuk opened fire on the approaching officers, police said. Tactical team members returned fire but said none of those bullets hit Baryluk.
The new owner of the house, who asked that his name not be used, said there were several bullet holes on the wall, which suffered severe water damage. He believes Baryluk left the taps running during the standoff as there is water seepage throughout the house and a distinct smell of mould.
He said he doesn’t have any plans to move into the house now and has no idea what he will do with it.