OTTAWA – Prince Charles has made what is being described as a substantial donation to the families of the two Canadian soldiers killed recently in separate attacks.
Clarence House confirmed a donation was made to the True Patriot Love Foundation, which is managing the flood of money coming in through the Stand on Guard Fund. The contribution was made explicitly for the families of Cpl. Nathan Cirillo and Warrant Officer Patrice Vincent.
The Prince of Wales’ Charitable Foundation isn’t revealing the amount of the donation, but a source close to the matter called it “substantial.”
Bronwen Evans, managing director of the True Patriot Love Foundation, said the organization is thrilled – but not surprised – by the donation from Prince Charles, given his support for the military.
READ MORE: Governor General pays respects to Cpl. Cirillo at memorial
“I think it says to the families that he recognizes the sacrifices that military families make,” said Evans.
“Certainly given the particular circumstances around how these two soldiers were killed, I think it says that he recognizes the important role that our military plays, not just abroad, but also at home in terms of protecting our democracy and freedoms.”
The Stand on Guard Fund was created by a pair of Conservative friends in the wake of last Wednesday’s fatal shooting of reservist Cpl. Nathan Cirillo in front of the National War Memorial in Ottawa.
READ MORE: Jitters remains as MPs return to the scene of last week’s Ottawa shooting
It has since taken off, and the organizing committee – which includes individuals of all political stripes – pegged the total as of Thursday at $700,000. Donations have come from 26 countries, and ranged from $1 to $50,000.
All the donations will be divided equally between Cirillo’s family and that of Vincent, who was struck by an assailant’s car two weeks ago in St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Que.
Donations can be made through 苏州美甲美睫培训standonguardfund苏州美甲美睫培训.